Sunday, February 9, 2014

Inside cleanup

I haven't done too much lately.  It's just been too cold.   It is interesting to note that one half of the inside of the boat has paint on it and the other half has none.   I can't elplain why.  I was going to sand but something in the back of my head said don't do that it might be lead paint.       I rummaged around the ACE hardware store and found a paint stripper that is in a spray can.  I think it worked as good as the stuff  you have to apply with a brush.  It got about 95% of the paint off.  I'll keep picking at it.  I should be able to start glassing the cracks in the bottom.  Going to do that from the inside, hence the paint removal.   The picture looks worse that it really is.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Centerboard trunk

I finally got back  to the shed today.  The last two weeks the weather was just unbearable cold to do anything.  So I started slow.  I mocked up a CB trunk.  The boat had a modified trunk that did not fit the boat.  It was elongated at the top so that the board could move from side to side.  I guess there was some engineering to that but it escaped me.  The position of this board is also up for discussion.  I can see the original front position of the trunk but more work needs to be done to actually set this one.  More on that later.  The long fwd support will eventually mate with the deck at the splashboard.  The plywood came courtesy of George A.   I found it on his front porch...

I had some more time today so I glued up the CB trunk.   The  inside has two coats of resin. The exterior supports are glued on with Titebond II yellow glue and the box is glued with thickened epoxy.