I was over an another mothboaters house a few weeks ago. He was cleaning out stuff and asked me if I wanted two short chunks of mahogany 3/8 inch 1/4 rounds. I said yes. Knew exactly where they would go. Perfect fit for the outside edge of the inner coaming. With these two chunks of wood the woodwork on this boat is done. Still have a lot of sanding and fairing plus some floorboards.
Friday, November 27, 2015
We are inching along with Griff. I got her in the shed and all the other boats are put away for the winter. I have a little bit of work space but I don't have too much more to do. I'll have this boat race ready by June. I made rubrails from some red oak and then stained them mahogany. Hopefully that will check the black stain that oak takes on over time.
Monday, October 26, 2015
Friday, September 25, 2015
I'm slowly getting the boat in order. These are the original splash boards and coaming. They don't quite fit with the new frames but I did clamp them in place and the fit apears to be reasonable. Got to do more sanding and resin work on the deck before that happens. I did get the mast partner made and installed. I used the original as a base and made a new one as a topper. Bottom is one sanding away from paint. I like the shape of this boat.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
I took about a year off this project mainly because last year I received a commission to build a moth for a fellow in New York. That took most of last winter. I also built two 8 foot prams along the way. Last I left Griff she had the deck done but it was rough. I sanded the entire deck with the belt sander just to knock down the uneven spots. I then went over the entire boat with 60 grit on the orbital sander. The next process was to fill in any cracks and voids with Rockhard wood putty. That stuff is great. The next process is fiberglass but right before that I'm going to stain the deck with red mahogany. Give the boat the old school look that she needs.