Monday, May 16, 2016

Ready to race.

The boat is done.  I got the Cunningham and vang set.  Also got the stays adjusted and locked down.

The boat is for sale if anyone is interested...


Saturday, April 30, 2016

Almost done

Got some varnish on the topsides and some paint on the interior and transom.  Got the floorboards installed.  I glassed the back side of the floorboards to make them stiffer.  I also got the sheet block installed and both of the mounting points for the hiking strap.   In these old boats the strap was usually mounted across the boat anchored on the deck supports.  The supports in this boat are not strong enough for that so I devised a different way.  I mounted a block to the keel and then the eye strap onto that.  The other end is right below the sheet block.

I finally figured out how to attache the gudgeons and traveler without a helper.  I put the boat upside down on the top rack of the trailer.  I could then stand up and get under the back deck. I used a vice grip to hold the captive nut while I tightened it with a screwdriver.  Last part was the rudder lock.  I made that out of a small chainplate.

And lastly, a centerboard for Griff. This board has a big 11 1/4 inch chord.  Big boards for a vintage boat.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The rig

I wanted to see if everything fit.  I had the mast on last fall without varnish and the partner was a tight fit.  Varnish adds a tiny bit so one more time.  Got the floorboards fitted, stained and varnished.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

We're Back!

Finally got Griff off the storage rack and started to get her into racing condition.  I got the mast and boom varnished and made knees to stabilize the centerboard case at the back end.  I also got the rudder fitted and made some floorboards. The last thing I did was make a platform for the sheet block. Hopefully this boat will race at  Brigantine NJ in June.